Director of the Master’s Program
office: 583 Park Hall
phone: (716) 645-8428
Ph.D., Columbia, 1989
Courses Regularly Taught
HIS 162: U.S. History from Reconstruction to the Present
HIS 310: 20th Century U.S. Political History
HIS 386: New Deal America
HIS 440: American Cold War History
HIS 491: U.S. in the 1920s and 1930s
HIS 503: Graduate Core Seminar in American History, Part 2
HIS 549: 20th Century U.S. Political History
HIS 630: Graduate Research Seminar in 20th Century U.S. History
US, Political History, Social/Cultural History, Urban History
20th century U.S. public policy, political economy, urban history, and social movements
The Rise of the Public Authority: Statebuilding and Economic Development in Twentieth-Century America (University of Chicago Press, 2013)
“From Municipal Socialism to Public Authorities: Institutional Factors in the Shaping of American Public Enterprise,” Journal of American History, v. 90 n. 3 (December 2003).
Modern Housing for America: Policy Struggles in the New Deal Era (University of Chicago Press, 1996).
“William Gibbs McAdoo, the Emergency Fleet Corporation, and the Origins of the Public-Authority Model of Government Action,” Journal of Policy History, v. 11, n. 1 (1999).
“The Federal Government and Housing During the Great Depression,” in John F. Bauman, et al., eds., From Tenements to Taylor Homes: In Search of an Urban Housing Policy in Twentieth-Century America (Pennsylvania State University Press, 2000).
- Urban History Association Kenneth Jackson Award for best book in North American Urban History, 2013
- Milton Plesur Teaching Award from the UB Undergraduate Student Association, 2013
- Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Residential Fellowship, 2004-05
- OAH Binkley-Stephenson Award for best article in Journal of American History in 2003
- NEH Fellowship for University Teachers 1999
- ACLS Fellowship 1999